Once you have created your SharePoint users, you will need to manage them. The instructions below explain how to:
- Change a user’s permissions
- Deleting a User Through the SharePoint Site
- Deleting a User Through the Customer Control Panel
Changing a user’s permissions
Site administrators can change user permissions through the SharePoint site. Follow the steps below to change permissions.
1) Log in to your SharePoint site using the Site Administrator credentials.
2) Click on Site Actions on the top, left-hand side of the page, and select Site Permissons.
3) Select the user whose permission you need to change, and click Edit User Permissions at the top of the page.
4) Select the appropriate level of permissions for this user, and click OK.
Now the permission level for this user has been changed, they will be able to modify the site as per the permission you assigned.
You can also create your own permission levels by clicking on Permission Levels at the top of the Permissions page, then selecting Add a Permission Level. On the next page that appears, you can select all of the actions that would be allowed for the new permission level you are creating, and click Create to finish.
Deleting a User through the SharePoint Site
1) Log in to your SharePoint site as the site Administrator.
2) Click on Site Actions on the top, left-hand side of the page, and select Site Settings.
3) Next, in the Users and Permissions section, click People and groups.
4) Click on the name of the user you wish to delete, and on the next page select Delete User from Site Collection.
This completes the instructions for deleting a user through the SharePoint site settings.
Deleting a User through the Customer Control Panel
Follow these instructions to delete a SharePoint service user through the Customer Control Panel. SharePoint administrators can also delete users through the SharePoint site settings, and instructions for this method are found below.
If an administrator deletes a user through the SharePoint site, the user will be unable to log into the SharePoint site, but they will still appear in the list of SharePoint users within the Customer Control Panel.
1) Log in to your Customer Control Panel and select your SharePoint subscription from the drop-down menu in the top, right-hand side of the page.
2) Navigate to the SharePoint tab.
3) Navigate to the Users sub-tab.
4) Click on the check box next to the user you want to delete.
5) Click Delete.
This completes the process for deleting a SharePoint user through the Customer Control Panel. As mentioned above, this is the best way to delete a user, as they will be completely removed from the system. However, the next section explains how a SharePoint administrator can remove a user directly through the site. Using this second method, the deleted user will not be able to log in to SharePoint, but they will still appear in the list of users within the Customer Control Panel.
You should now have an understanding of how to manage your users in SharePoint.